Wednesday, February 22, 2006

Taxes

I just finished my taxes. I think. Until this year, I haven't minded filing so much. It may sound crazy, but I guess because my taxes were pretty simple it never seemed like a big deal.

This year I have sat down to do them at least a half a dozen times. The first three or four times, I realized I didn't have some receipt or something that I needed, so I had to wait until I could go home and dig through my files.

I finally got my paperwork in order, then something happened between my computer and the software to keep me from filing or printing. There's always something, I guess. The software wouldn't print, it wouldn't take my routing number, and it kept insisting that I skipped a step. As punishment, it would send me back to the beginning. As result, what should have taken about forty minutes has taken...well...a lot longer. I guess they just want to make sure that I earn the money I'm supposed to get back. Twice.

Anyway, having griped, I do have to admit that I make part of my living by the complexities of the tax code and I working on a limited basis with a lot of people who make all of their living by it. That's not to say I'm a big fan of it. I'm just well, tolerant.

Happy filing to the rest of you. In case your wondering, taxactonline.com works great. Except, well, when it doesn't.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think there's some kind of law of nature that says that filing one's taxes isn't allowed to be simple. Really. There is. BTW, thanks for the tax website tip. You're the greatest!

Anonymous said...

The above comment coming from someone who filed their taxes 3 days before tax day--and still forgot the stamp to mail it in! Sorry, cathy, you just make such a tempting target!!