Thursday, January 19, 2006

Well...it's over. After a day of opening speeches and the first three witnesses, the defendant decided to settle with us. So, I guess you could say we won. It was a little bit of a let down since we had done all the work to prepare a trial and we only got to go halfway (okay, so Curtis did most of the work). Curtis didn't get to give his closing speech (that had about had me in tears when he started it in his office), and we didn't get to find out what the jury would have thought of us or our case.
I'm afraid I've already bored a few people to tears by telling them about all the details...the motions, the briefs, the jury, the witnesses, the judge, the opposing attorney, and, of course, the story...so I won't get into all that unless you ask.
It was fun for me to help with the trial preparations...even if it did mean a couple weeks of ten, twelve, and fourteen hours days. It was even more exciting to be able to go to court and see the fruit of our labor (okay, so I didn't actually do anything besides sit there...but still). There may be attorneys out there that do that all the time, but this was only my second time to court in a year and a half and my first time actually being a part of the trial. I hope it won't be the last time, though.
So, today I get to get back to drafting leases and researching tax laws...real attorney work...

1 comment:

Dave Adams said...

I thought the big event was over...doesn't that usually mean you'll have more time to share with friends???

You haven't posted anything in like forever =)